Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Diaper Time

      
    When it comes time to change Evan's diaper, you change it just like any baby.  Most of the time it is just wet which means unsnap the snaps, take the diaper off, pull out the insert, and toss both in trash can.
     We use a small trash can to hold all the dirty diapers until laundry time.  Nothing else is needed.  Then take a clean diaper that has already been stuffed off the shelf and snap it into place.  Done.
        If it happens to be number two, I rinse it out in the toilet before tossing it in with the rest.

       When you cloth diaper what do you do for wipes?  You can buy disposable wipes, but then you have the dirty wipes smelling up your nursery.  They do sell cloth wipes, too or other use baby wash cloths.  I chose to go through my scrap fabric and make my own.  I cut square pieces of flannel, which are nice and smooth on Evan's bottom.  I sewed a stitch around the edge to keep it from fraying.  Store them in a wipes container next to his changing pad.  Before using them I spray it down with a combination of water and Lavender Witch Hazel. It is nice and gentle on baby's bottom.

        Back to a dirty number two...you don't have to, but we chose to buy a spray nozzle.  It makes the process less gross.  I just hold the diaper over the toilet rinse the diaper, insert, and wipes off.   Wring out the excess water and flush the toilet.
       They say that's all you have to do. I found if the diaper was discolored after rinsing in the toilet that it is best to pretreat it.  Otherwise after doing the laundry the diaper has a yellow or black cast.   Since my aunt sent along a spray bottle of Biokleen Bac-Out that she used, I knew it was safe.  You have to be careful what you use with cloth diapers because you do not want to destroy the pul or polyurethane laminate.  It is what makes the diaper waterproof. The outer fabric is made of pul and keeps baby's clothes dry.  Spray down the inside of the diaper and toss into the trash can. 
      
       Every other day I wash diapers.  I dump the trash can into the washing machine.  Turn the water to hot and start a rinse cycle.  Then do a normal cycle with laundry detergent followed by an extra rinse cycle to make sure all the soap is out. 

      When you purchase cloth diapers the companies say you have to purchase special laundry detergent, but as long as you get something that is perfume and dye free you are fine.  I use Arm & Hammer free. We have hard water so I also have to toss in a little borax, otherwise, the diapers loose their absorbency.  My aunt who doesn't have hard water never had absorbency issues.  Another way to loose absorbency is by using diaper cream.  If by chance Evan gets a sore bottom, which rarely happens, I use a disposable diaper and diaper cream.
       Then hang your laundry out to dry.  It is best to let them line dry.  First because if you put them in the dryer, you might destroy the pul and no longer have waterproof diapers.  The inserts can be dried, though.  Second because the sun is a natural whitener and it is not recommended to use bleach on them. 
       This winter when I had to use a drying rack, I noticed the diapers and inserts were getting discolored.  Now that spring arrived and I can hang them outside the discoloration has disappeared.
After the diapers are dry I stuff them and put them back on the shelf ready for the next time.
     Evan usually goes through six diapers a day. So with 18 diapers I can laundry every other day.  12 diapers from the first two days and 6 to use while those are drying.  Luckily around Christmas time when we were hunting for diapers to buy so we could return my aunts, we found them on sale for 40% off.  Meaning we only spent $11 per diaper.  Much less than a box of diapers every week for 2-3 years, which is why we chose to go this route.



No comments:

Post a Comment