Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Baby Food, Sweet Potatoes Addition


 
        At the beginning of the month Evan started vegetables and is LOVING it!!!  So far he has tried peas, green beans, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes. 

        Making baby food is simple and saves us on trips to the grocery store.  First I took a couple sweet potatoes from the basement, scrubbed the outside of them to get all the dirt off, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and placed them in a 400 degree oven for an hour.  Once they came out I let them cool for a few minutes before peeling them.
        Then cut them in small enough pieces they fit in the food grinder and grind away.  Done.  Food is ready to eat.  Although since I baked two sweet potatoes, I will have plenty left over for several more meals.  Some will go in the fridge and the rest will be frozen. 
        In my experience butternut squash and sweet potatoes are very soft for first foods.  Peas and green beans are a little harder to grind due to the skins.  Most of the time I try to mix squash or potatoes with them to make them easier to swallow.  Evan handles them fine either way, though. 


       

No comments:

Post a Comment