Saturday, November 30, 2013

Giving Thanks!

        As we take time this weekend to spend time with family and friends to give thanks for the many blessing we have, I am especially grateful our kitchen remodel is just about complete. 
 
         It's been a busy week.  Our counter tops and kitchen sink arrived on Tuesday afternoon.  Then that evening my brother came over to install the rewired light fixture above the kitchen sink.  It was the one thing from the old kitchen we reused in the new kitchen.  It used to be central lighting for the whole kitchen, but we installed a new fixture that would give off more lighting for that. 
       We decided to take out the fluorescent light above the sink to use in the dark basement and install the globe light above the sink.  It turned out pretty nice even though my husband had his doubts.  Don't look too closely. I still have to paint the metal parts.
        Watching my almost three-year-old nephew try to be apart of the action was funny.  He had to be right there holding a screwdriver that he snatched from his dad's back pocket. 

         My dad came over on Wednesday to help us finish up the rest of it.  We started by measuring and cutting out the hole for the sink.  Then we glued the 45 degree seam that connects the sink piece with the bar piece.  Next we set it back on top of the cabinets to attach the sink to the counter top.  Now it was time to screw all the counter tops to the base cabinets.  While Dad and I were working on these steps, my husband was finishing up cutting and nailing the trim pieces. 
       After work my mom came down to see the progress and bring pizza for supper.  The last time she was over everything was torn out and only the soffits were built.  She was impressed with how it turned out. 
       As soon as they left I started cleaning up the sawdust mess for the last time.  Since the next day was Thanksgiving I didn't get much accomplished on putting things back together.  I spent all day Friday cleaning the sawdust out of the cabinets, cleaning the dishes that have been stashed around the house for the past seven months, and putting everything away. 
        Now to decide on what kind of window treatments to hang up.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment