Wednesday, January 23, 2013

John Deere Quilt

This John Deere quilt is one I made for a good teacher friend of mine who had a baby boy in September.  Her husband is a farmer so I thought this would be perfect. 

I chose brown, yellow, and green because it made me think of the different stages corn goes through. Brown for winter when bare dirt is showing, green for spring and early summer when the plants are growing, and yellow for fall when corn is ready to be picked. 


The quilt design is different sizes of rectangles to give you a feel of what fields would look like from the sky.  Especially since different crops are ready at different times.  For example in late June wheat is a golden color while corn is dark green and tall, but soybeans might still be quite small and almost appear invisible to the soil around it.  For the quilting I chose a simple stitch to represent the furrows crops are planted in. 






No comments:

Post a Comment