Friday, April 5, 2013

Grass seed, grass seed, and more grass seed

     This week's goal...get grass seed sown before some anticipated spring showers over the weekend.  Even though our front yard has numerous uneven spots due to a problem with moles under the trees, I'm waiting to sow seed there until we get the moles under control.  Otherwise our dogs will continue to dig holes to get to them and the chickens will scratch at the ground to get bugs.  With that said, you can see we have lots of other spots that need attention.    
     First up, sow down the front yard garden.  Last year my father-in-law thought he needed even more space for his garden, so he tilled up the front yard.  Along the fence he planted pole beans and then a row of green beans in front of it.  In the other bigger spot he planted broccoli, turnips, cucumbers, and probably a few others I don't remember.  We decided just to use the backyard garden, so grass seed it was.
    Around our house needed something until we reside the house, work on gutters, and put on a tin roof.  We tore out the over-grown bushes to make it easier to reach the windows that we replaced last fall.  This way with grass seed it hopefully won't be as muddy when we get to that project in the next couple years.  I already have plans for what landscaping I want to do.  Now I just have to wait patiently until that day comes.
     Last, but not least was to sow down all the old stump spots.  Here I believe was a birch tree.  It probably was really pretty in its day, but all I have ever seen was the stump it left behind.  There was also a crab apple tree along the driveway that his grandfather planted.   My husband cut it down so he could get in and out with equipment easier.  Also, in the backyard there were five spots that needed attention.  I think they were from old trees that blew down in storms, a clothes line, and a hanging basket stand.   All of them were gone before I knew my husband. 
     Now I have my fingers crossed that we get rain this weekend and warm temperatures next week so it sprouts.  Some spots might be a little thick, but it was a little windy this week everyday after school when I was working on it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment